Think of a time when you or someone you know used informal language in a situation where formal language may have been more appropriate. What happened? Looking back, what could have been said differently, and what did the situation teach you about choosing your words carefully? 9/9

​Prompt Response: One time where I used informal language where it would have been more appropriate to use formal language was when I was talking to immigration on my way to America. We had just packed up our lives in Sweden, and flown across the Atlantic and landed at Atlanta International airport, 2 flights and 23 hours later. I was tired both mentally and physically, from the physical exaltation of it all and the emotional exhaustion of leaving everything behind. So when we sauntered up to immigration, knowing that that was the last real obstacle between me and a comfortable bed. The immigration worker started questioning everybody in my family, and asking about our intent to enter the country. When it came to my turn I said something around the lines of “ idk bro, I didn't choose to come here”, and then I caught myself as everyone in my family gave me horrified looks, but the worker started laughing. Even though it all worked out, and I got let into the country, it taught me that there is a time and a place to use informal language, and a serious situation is not it. 

Summary: Today in class we learned about formal and informal language and when to use it. We also reviewed each other's paragraphs and gave suggestions for improvement. 

Reflection: As we learnt about formal and informal language, I learnt what the difference was and when I was expected to use it. I will use this knowledge to differentiate in my day to day life, when and when not to use informal/formal language. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Describe something you will never fully understand 8/24

Write about a conversation that changed you. 9/29

Today, we learned how to use clustering as a brainstorming strategy before responding to any writing prompt. Think about today’s practice. How did clustering help you generate ideas, examples, etc for the prompt? What part of the clustering process was most useful to you, and do you think you would use this strategy when planning an AP Lang essay? Explain. 9/25